Monday 3 February 2020

That's So Finnish: Makaronilaatiiko

Makaronilaatiiko is one of those Finnish words (of several thousands) that I am grateful for auto-correct on my phone when typing it out!

It is a very simple baked macaroni casserole and it is typically made with ground beef, macaroni pasta, cream, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
If you want to have a "tastier crust" - you can go all out and use bread crumbs for part of the topping.  I kid you not - my boss told me she makes it that way at home so it's tastier...seeing as her favourite food is flavourless yoghurt ....I am not surprised.


Commonly topped (or drenched in) ketchup - it is one of those dishes that really fills you up and could be tastier with a lot more spices (in my opinion).  I am not one of those people that needs ketchup on every meal I consume - so I prefer to sprinkle chilli flakes and powder and enjoy my food that way 😆

My dear friend Lise made a vegan version of it to share with her English partner and she just so happens to be an artist and shared this delightful cartoon about makaronilaatiiko - I had to share it here!

Posted with permission

Super fun fact - I shared this in an expat-related group on Facebook and while most people got the joke of "exotic Finnish spices" being only salt and pepper - some did get offended by this comic.

Please note some things:
  • Lise is an artist - check out her IG account here!
  • Lise is half Finnish
  • Lise is funny and recognizes that most Finnish food is lacking flavour but as most of us know - the primary Finnish spices are really - just salt and pepper!
It is rather bland - no doubt about it - but I feel if you add enough of your own flavours to it - it can be a really hearty meal! And personally I like it even more the next day as leftovers!

And if you really love yourself or whomever is doing the dishes afterward - SPRAY YOUR BAKING PAN A LOT.  You'll thank me later.  I promise.

Thanks for reading!
LAFA

No comments:

Post a Comment